One of my favorite innovation phrases that I always use on stage or in a CEO off-site is “think big, start small, scale fast!”
So I woke up this morning and came into the home office, and was thinking about the “start small’ part of that phrase. And quickly jotted down a list of small ideas.
- do small projects: too many innovation efforts get bogged down, bloated, and blow up due to big scope and size!
- celebrate small wins : not every innovation effort needs to be a home run
- learn from small failures: I love the phrase fail early, fail often, fail fast; you can do that better if your project is small
- scatter your team for small exploration: there is so much going on in so many industries that is so tiny but has huge implications, you’ve simply got to let your people explore!
- reframe the idea of small: put into perspective how small changes can have a big impact
- look for small winners: for example, there are tremendous innovations in manufacturing concepts with small manufacturers — learn from them!
- give a small bit: in an era of open collaboration and global insight, giving back some R&D can be a good thing
- seek small heroes: in the global economy, there is probably a small 1 or 2 person company who is doing exactly the cool, innovate thing you need. Find them!
- establish small decision groups: destroy committees; if there has to be one to make a decision, limit it to 1 or 2 or 3 people.
- focus on the power of small: one person can change a company, an industry, a country, a world!
Of course, my ideas aren’t original. The original concept of small perhaps came from the greatest advertising campaign of all time — for the VW Beetle, Think Small.
It’s a powerful concept.
In my case, the entirety of my career as a global keynote speaker, futurist, trends and innovation expert is that it’s me, and my wife, and a small home office that is plugged into a great big world. From here, I serve up insight and guidance to a vast range of global organizations, associations, CEO’s and leadership teams.
Thinking big, starting small, scaling fast.
Perhaps the real secret to succeeding in a world where the future belongs to those who are fast!
GET IN TOUCH
Jim's Facebook page
You'll find Jim's latest videos on Youtube
Mastodon. What's on Jim's mind? Check his feed!
LinkedIn - reach out to Jim for a professional connection!
Flickr! Get inspired! A massive archive of all of Jim's daily inspirational quotes!
Instagram - the home for Jim's motivational mind!