This is a really hard post to write. As much of the world reels with the early stages of the seven stages of election grief, I think its important to think about the realities of the future.
Here’s a slide I used on stage one time, talking about the challenges people have with shock elections:
Lots of people are struggling today, and are on various places on the curve.
As a futurist, here’s what I know. I expect I will be writing and speaking about these issues a lot more in the future. For now, lets leave it at this:
- Science still exponentiates
- Knowledge still accelerates
- The global idea machine still reverberates
- Big thinkers still think of how to solve big challenges
- Hyper-connectivity still provides for a reimagined future
- Inventors still invent
- Dreamers still dream
- Innovators still innovate
- Doers still do
- Teachers still teach
- Change agents can still effect positive change
- Optimism can always overcome pessimism
- No barrier to the future is insurmountable with the right determination
- At the end of the day, the majority of people are still decent
I started working on a list of 10 things.
I got to 14.
Let’s take that as a good sign.