The Innovation Killers
(Or: Do You Have An Organizational Sclerosis That Clogs Up Your Ability To Deal With The Future?)
“Do you set yourself up with a regular stream of excuses that hold you back from making progress in the area of acceleration? Do the innovation killers surround you?”
“When someone suggests a great idea, do others respond ‘that’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard’?”
“Many organizations have a built up organizational sclerosis that clogs up their ability to cope with the future. Do you?”
“Are you in an organization where the phrase, ‘you can’t do that because we’ve always done it this way’ is used for every new idea?
WHAT ARE THE
Many organizations have failure embedded into their DNA.
They build up a culture of aggressive indecision, which guarantees a slow culture that provides them a boat-anchor in the era of acceleration.
Jim Carroll identifies, on stage, both the cultural killers and the practical strategies that must be pursued to break through!
10 SIGNS YOU’VE GOT AN
Read this list. Is this your organization?
- People laugh at new ideas
- Someone who identifies a problem is shunned
- Innovation is the privileged practice of a special group
- The phrase, “you can’t do that because we’ve always done it this way” is used for every new idea
- No one can remember the last time anyone did anything really cool
- People think innovation is about R&D
- People have convinced themselves that competing on price is normal
- The organization is focused more on process than success
- There are lots of baby boomers about, and few people younger than 25
- After any type of surprise — product, market, industry or organizational change — everyone sits back and asks, “wow, where did that come from?”
POSTS ABOUT THE INNOVATION KILLERS
Daily Inspiration: “Rules for disruptive success: Bold beats old, fast beats slow, small beats big, serendipity beats strategy….”
"Rules for disruptive success: Bold beats old, fast beats slow, small beats big, serendipity beats strategy...." -
Forward oriented leadership : Avoiding aggressive indecision!
What holds back a lot of innovation in organizations is a culture of "aggressive
What Do Innovators Do That Other’s Don’t Do?
Many organizations have failure embedded into their DNA. They build up a culture of aggressive indecision, which
Why You Need to Get Out of Your Innovation & Creativity Rut – NOW!
I spend a LOT of time doing talks at corporate meetings; often, a CEO or CxO leadership event for a Fortune 1000
Leadership – “What Does It Mean When Your CEO Says We Don’t Need to Do That Right Now?”
It means you are in pretty big trouble. I hit my virtual broadcast studio to explain why.>Why does this happen?
Some people. Innovative people. Spot the difference!
It's quite true. Some people have a very narrow view of the world and never achieve too much. Innovators have a
Innovation Isn’t What You Think It Is – Here’s What You Need to Know!
The following article was published in AkzoNoble's "A" Magazine, featuring some of my thoughts on innovation in
Staying Complacent? You Know You Are Killing Yourself with Inaction. What Are You Going To Do About It?
You’re stuck. Fading into irrelevancy! Dying from organizational sclerosis every single day. Killing yourself with
Start Your Day Today with Some Consistent Failure In Your Plan! It’s the Only Way You Will Succeed!
Because if you don't fail, you aren't learning!Here's some inspiration to get you going. I seem to write about
Video: “Go Ahead: Admit It – You’re Stuck, Indecisive, and Not Sure What Do Do!”
So when do you innovate? Right now!For some reason, my sound configuration was off - but still a good
Video: Your Challenge is In Your Innovation and Creativity Prevention Department!
You know it's true.And you'll be even more convinced you watch this. Virtual. Done
Daily Inspiration“Every great idea was once a dumb idea!”
“Every great idea was once a dumb idea!” - Futurist Jim CarrollHistory is littered with the legacy of great
Revisiting the Innovation Killers in the Era of Covid-19 : A Reality Check For Your New Future
Over 20 years ago, when I began an intense focus on researching what defined "innovation success," I came up with my
Aggressive Indecision 2020: How Organizations Are Failing By Freezing FAST! (Hint: Accept Your New Covid-19 Reality)
It seems there are a lot of people reading my new book, "Think Small, Delay Now, Scale Slow!" They so busy thinking
Show #4 : Disrupting the Big Disruption – Failure is Good for You, and I Get My Stage Groove Back On (in my Basement)
Here it is, raw and uncut.Too many speakers are doing too many boring Zooms with boring Powerpoints - or they're
10 Surefire Ways to Kill Creativity, Innovation and Strategy!
You know that you are failing. Ideas are being lost, opportunities are being squandered, initiative is in a rut.How
Video: What Do Innovative Organizations Do? This, but Not That!
From the vaults: I'm on stage, opening the 2010 US Air Force & Navy Child Youth Program event in Dallas.I’m
THE LIST OF INNOVATION KILLERS
Are you dying from organizational sclerosis? Find out! Print the list below, and take it into your next meeting. Score one point each time a phrase is used, plus bonus points as indicated. Score more than 5, and you’ve got an organization that is innovation-adverse. Score 10 or more, and you are innovation dead. 15 or more, and you might as well close up shop – or immediately book Jim for guidance!
- “We’ve always done it this way” (3 bonus points)
- “It won’t work”
- “That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard”
- “That’s not my problem”
- “You can’t do that”
- “It’s against tradition”
- “It’s too risky” (3 bonus points)
- “I don’t know how”
- “I don’t think I can”
- I didn’t know that”
- “The boss won’t go for it” (5 bonus points)
- “Why should I care?”
- “Rules won’t allow it”
- “Don’t rock the boat”
INNOVATION KILLER VIDEOS
WHAT SHOULD YOU
DO ABOUT IT?
Change your culture – adopt the mindset of innovation heroes!
- ideas flow freely throughout the organization
- subversion is a virtue
- success and failure are championed
- there are many, many leaders who encourage innovative thinking, rather than managers who run a bureacracy
- there are creative champions throughout the organization — people who thrive on thinking about how to do things differently ideas get approval and endorsement
- rather than stating “it can’t be done,” people ask, “how could we do this?”
- people know that in addition to R&D, innovation is also about ideas about to “run the business better, grow the business and transform the business”
- the word “innovation” is found in most job descriptions as a primary area of responsibility
- a percentage of annual renumeration is based upon achievement of explicitly defined innovation goals
SEEK INNOVATION MOTIVATION FROM JIM’S DAILY INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE!
These are a few of the organizations that have booked Jim Carroll in the past. He has spoken for senior leadership meetings for the world’s largest companies. Industry association events, and many more.
GET IN TOUCH
Jim's Facebook page
You'll find Jim's latest videos on Youtube
Twitter. What's on Jim's mind? Check his feed!
LinkedIn - reach out to Jim for a professional connection!
Flickr! Get inspired! A massive archive of all of Jim's daily inspirational quotes!
Instagram - the home for Jim's motivational mind!