The Impact of Covid-19 on
Your Business and Your Industry
Moving from Indecision To Action
HOW HAS COVID CHANGED YOUR WORLD?
If there is one lesson that organizations have learned through the pandemic, it’s that their future survival is now heavily dependent upon the resilience they’ve put in place – and that resilience demands a new level of agility within their leadership team to respond to new levels of volatility!
Resilience? It’s the ability to bounce back from VUCA – what has become known as an unprecedented level of volatility, complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity. How important is it? Post-pandemic, it’s critical, because levels of VUCA have accelerated through the roof!
Organizations should now consider putting in place a “Chief Resilience Officer” – someone responsible for steering the organization through an unprecedented level of volatility, complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity.
Consider what has happened in the last two years in terms of the acceleration of business:
- Massive virtualization of entire industries overnight.
- The future has only one speed: FAST! It’s faster than it was before! If you can’t keep up, you’d better get fit!!
- Organizations are learning something new about the concept of ‘speed’ and what it means to be agile as we witness a seismic shift in the concept of “collaborative agility”
- There are some previous trends that have slowed but the vast majority of trends have accelerated to a huge degree. Leaders need to know how to tell the difference!
- Business models won’t go back to where they were before the pandemic. Business models are still being redefined, twisted, shaped and challenged
- We’ve had to move so fast that decision making paralysis has disappeared. Old ideas and slow structure have been obliterated, new winners are emerging and their key attribute is speed.
- The concept of ‘studying the issues’ is dead! It’s all about getting it done and that has long term implications. Leading companies just get on with innovation, they adjust, adapt and move on!
However, remember this – even in the worst of times there is still a wealth of opportunity out there!
Successful people tend to arrive in the future before the future does! Do you??
You are either part of it or you are not!!
FUTURE TRENDS =
Years from now, we will look back and realize that many industries, technologies, concepts and disruptive ideas accelerated throughout the crisis of 2020-21- because they played a major role in the rebuilding of our dramatically different future.
We will also know that by aligning to these trends through a leadership culture of action that we were best able to quickly realize the opportunities of tomorrow.
IN AN ERA OF UNCERTAINTY
History has taught us that only 10% of organizations become breakthrough performers during a period of economic challenge.
Futurist Jim Carroll has carefully studied the strategies they pursue, the concepts that drive them, and the actions they take to become a success in this complex new world.
It’s timely and critical insight – what strategies should you now be pursuing to prepare for our eventual Post-Covid economy? Futurist Jim Carroll shows you the path forward!
THE PATH FORWARD – RESILIENCE AND AGILITY
What do you need to achieve resilience? Succesful, agile organizations move faster – decisions, product development, time to market, and an attitude that future business survival now depends on that resilience.
- strategic nimbleness to respond faster to fast-moving events
- flexible policies that shift in real-time
- real-time feedback loops that drive your (re)actions
- the ability to avoid the distraction of clarity – because there really isn’t any
- the ability to readjust goals to meet new realities
- the ability to spot new opportunities amidst the volatility
- a structure that can reorganize quickly – the formation of fast teams is critical
- a culture that embraces speed of action as a key success factor
- a mindset that cuts through organizational sclerosis
- accelerated decision making
- the ability to act in the presence of imperfect data
- a focus that challenges process – quick runs, small orders
- thinking long term as to how you structure for faster future change
- a team that stops taking things for granted
- a mindset that is relentless on redundancy – examining every point of weakness
- enabling insight at every level
- leaders that stop discounting the outliers
- groups that challenge complacency
- moving from actions based on ‘weeks and months to ‘days and hours’
- accelerating scenario analysis – alternative futures are your future
- accepting VUCA as a constant – and stop chasing ‘normal, because there isn’t any
- do more horizon scanning with an effective trends radar
- challenging your peers more
- presuming a complex trajectory for what comes next.
- stopping with the insufficient investment
- presuming that you move slower than everyone else – and fixing it
- regular identifying vulnerabilities and weak spots=
POSTS ABOUT THE CRISIS AND RECOVERY!
Daily Inspiration: “Your goal today should be to know more than you knew yesterday about the things you were not aware of the day before that!”
"Your goal today should be to know more than you knew yesterday about the things you were not aware of the day before
Virtual Keynote Clip: How Has the Future Changed with the Pandemic?
A clip from a virtual keynote I gave in June '22, with an overview of how the pandemic has accelerated the world of
Report on a Keynote – The Future of Skills, Recruitment, the Workforce and the Organization!
It was so fantastic to get back on stage with an event in Belgium - where I transitioned from a hidden re-creation of
Post-Covid Leadership : Aligning to the New Era of Volatility
The pandemic has changed every business assumption. Your ability to lead your team through the new volatility defines
Reality: When there’s volatility, there’s always opportunity!
2022 got you down? At this very moment, while volatility rages, there are people busy putting in place the
The Future Belonged To Those Who Were Fast. It’s Now Faster!
The business world changed with Covid. Here's what we saw: 10 years of change in 6 months Major trends
A Forward Thinking Organization: Do You Measure Up?
The world was fast before Covid - that's why my catchphrase, and the title of one of my books, is "the future belongs
Accelerating the Acceleration Gap: The Ultimate Impact of Our Post-Pandemic World
I hesitate to use the phrase 'post-pandemic' because we really don't know when that actual trend might unfold ... but
The Leadership Lessons of the Pandemic – We Are Now Forever Defined By Resilience, Speed, Adaptability, Agility!
Your business will never be the same! Not your business model, structure, skills base, or any assumptions about your
The 7 Deadly Sins of Covid Business Denial
And so here we go again! Having lived in this state of suspended reality for so long, we seem surrounded by those
Your Post Covid Reality – The Trends that Define Your Future!
As 2022 approaches, your key goal is to make sure you are aligned to the new era of acceleration. Here are two videos
22 Trends. 22 Minutes. 22 Opportunities for 2022 : A Virtual Leadership Kickstart for 2022!
I just shared this update with my many speaker bureau partners. It might provide some food for thought for you
“Workback Pushback” – When The Media Catches Up To Trends You’ve Already Covered!
So the New York Times ran an article about the fact that people are showing reluctance to go back to work. I
Though Leadership at Speed : Aligning Your Team to the Era of Acceleration!
For over 25 years, I've challenged leadership teams at some of the most fascinating organizations in the world - such
Trend : The Future of Construction Post-Covid : It’s Now Built on a Foundation for Speed!
Virtual works. Yesterday, I delivered a concise, 15-minute keynote for eBuilder, the construction project management
Video: What’s Your Post Pandemic Strategy, Plans and Actions?
Straight from my overseas producer - I want to challenge you to think about this NOW! Studio Version Spaceship
Video: The (Negative) Economic Implications of Vaccine Hesitancy
Since early March, I've been tweeting, speaking, and writing about the situation with 'vaccine hesitancy' - and I hate
DAILY INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE
For almost 4 years, Jim has been sharing his insight on the future, trends and innovation on a daily basis – not missing one workday since early August 2016. Each post offers some hope, guidance, and inspiration. Since the crisis began and Jim began sheltering at home, he has often used his home broadcast studio to provide a suitable backdrop on his latest thinking!
A VIRTUAL SPEAKER LIKE NO OTHER!
25 years on stage with global clients like Disney, NASA and the World Bank, Jim Carroll excels at delivering the same customized insight, high-energy presentations, with full interactivity, from a state of the art broadcast studio.
In a world of talking-heads delivering stale content via boring Webinar backdrops, you will discover in Jim Carroll effective online leadership insight in an interactive broadcast style that redefines the state of the possible, the opportunity for attention grabbing online content, and engaging interactivity.
Platforms include Zoom, Goto Meeting, Google Meet, Youtube, LinkedIn, Periscope and Facebook Live and
private corporate networks via RTMP protocol
- Live, interactive keynotes streamed online
- “Beyond the Keynote” opportunities with online,
virtual video panels
- Enhanced by optional professionally produced
videos, executive training and leadership series
- Full multimedia delivery in a virtual format
- Interactive audience Q&A and live text message polling via PollEverywhere
- Highly customized content