And so here we go again!
Having lived in this state of suspended reality for so long, we seem surrounded by those who are unable to align to the inevitable. How do we know? Because we hear the words and phrases they used that provide them a foundation for their failed disbelief.
For years, I’ve used my list of the “Innovation Killers” to identify the organizational sclerosis that holds companies back from pursuing the future – the exuces they make to deny reality.
With that in mind, here are the excuses you are now surrounded by each and every day when it comes to Covid. Being in the event and meeting industry, I hear all of these on a regular basis:
- we’ll just wait till things get back to normal (hint: they won’t)
- we’ll wait till this ends (hint: it doesn’t end – it evolves.)
- this will be over soon (hint: it won’t)
- all of these measures will be temporary (hint: some changes will be with us forever)
- we’ll wait until there is clarity ((hint: don’t expect any)
- we’re just tired of it and need to move on (hint: we’re all tired. That doesn’t change things)
- we’ll do it later (hint: why wait?)
- we can’t wait until we can do what we were doing before (hint: you won’t be)
- we’re done with it (hint: Covid isn’t done with you)
- we’re pretty certain this is the last wave (hint: Delta, meet Omicron)
- it’s all fake (hint: check your mental health)
- …and more
I’d love to hear from you as to what other excuses need to go on the list!
We live in interesting and challenging times!
Is this new? Not at all – I actually did a whole video about all these excuses over 14 months ago. And they’re still with us!