“Acceleration & speed demand agility and flexibility: but are you structured for slow in the era of fast?” – #Futurist Jim Carroll
19 Trends for 2019: #3 – The era of agility!
As a futurist, I’m often called on by Fortune 1000 organizations to speak at their global leadership meetings, you get a sense as to what CEO’s and senior executives are concentrating on.
Key trend? 10 years ago, the concept of ‘collaboration’ was not. No more – now, it’s speed. And specifically, agility in the executive offices and leadership team. That’s why this is my 3rd trend for 2019 is “The Era of Agility.
Why is it critical? Consider these likely facts:
That’s a reality, and you are likely not able to cope! Here’s why:
1. It’s the era of acceleration
2. In that context, the future belongs to those who are fast
3. There are few exceptions to the reality that small = speed, big = slow.
4. The fact is, most legacy companies are not structured for speed
5. Yet they need to be – disruption is everywhere, and it is happening quickly
6. And as tech comes to drive every industry, the speed of change will only increase
7. Making the big-small dichotomy even worse
8. This faster future requires innovation risk, but big companies aren’t built for risk
9. Not only that, but big companies have inherent health issues – they are clogged up with organizational sclerosis that clogs up their abilities
10. The only way to challenge yourself and deal with these issues is to challenge yourself on speed.
Yet, too many organizations spend their time making the excuses that lead them to failure, rather than focusing on the ideas that will define success.
They are structured for failure. It will only get worse in the era of acceleration.
Flexibility is the watchword, agility is the antidote!