Don’t make resolutions. Make transformations!
Archives for December 2016
“Don’t make resolutions. Make transformations” – Futurist Jim Carroll
Some years back as the year drew to a close, I wrote a blog post, “10 Great Words.” The intent was to provide some motivational guidance as to how to think and act in the coming year year.
It was a hit! To this date, remains one of the busiest pages on my Web site. There have been a few more similar posts along the way.
I think such lists are helpful for people, as they help us to think about the many unique trends and issues that surround us. With that in mind, here are my words for 2017. They are based on an assessment both of what we have been through in 2016, but with thoughts as to what we might face in the year to come.
- Authenticity. A defining trend for the coming year. Given the brutal dishonesties of the previous year, people are going to aggressively seek and embrace reality. If your personal values, company or brand can be authentic, you will have the defining trend of the year well in hand.
- Volatility. It’s the new normal. In the coming year, expect more of it. Innovate your way around it.
- Persevere. With so much uncertainty, your ability to stay focused and disciplined in your actions, in spite of potentially long odds, will be critical!
- Dignity. From my view, it looks like the world will provide a more cruel and mean environment in 2017. Make a personal decision to fight back. Double down on dignity; you’ll be a better person for it.
- Surround. As in, surround yourself with optimists!
- Immerse. In experiences, new ideas, technologies, concepts. There is so much going on in our fast paced world that the only way to figure out what is going on is to dive in and get involved!
- Accelerate. Increasing rates of change mean that you must constantly assess and challenge your own personal speedometer!
- Anticipate. Develop better skills, insight and tools to understand what comes next — even if what comes next arrives quicker than the year before!
- Emulate. Seek personal innovation and motivational heroes, follow their lead, and then set your own course
- Act. Last but not least, make decisions! One lasting impact of the tsunami of unpredictability of 2016 is a stain of uncertainty. Wash it away!
“Surround yourself with optimists. Always ignore the pessimists” – Futurist Jim Carroll
“The only thing worse than a bad idea is having no idea at all” – Futurist Jim Carroll
“Think fast. Act faster” – #Futurist Jim Carroll