The Innovation Killers
(Or: Do You Have An Organizational Sclerosis That Clogs Up Your Ability To Deal With The Future?)
“Do you set yourself up with a regular stream of excuses that hold you back from making progress in the area of acceleration? Do the innovation killers surround you?”
“When someone suggests a great idea, do others respond ‘that’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard’?”
“Many organizations have a built up organizational sclerosis that clogs up their ability to cope with the future. Do you?”
“Are you in an organization where the phrase, ‘you can’t do that because we’ve always done it this way’ is used for every new idea?
WHAT ARE THE
Many organizations have failure embedded into their DNA.
They build up a culture of aggressive indecision, which guarantees a slow culture that provides them a boat-anchor in the era of acceleration.
Jim Carroll identifies, on stage, both the cultural killers and the practical strategies that must be pursued to break through!
10 SIGNS YOU’VE GOT AN
Read this list. Is this your organization?
- People laugh at new ideas
- Someone who identifies a problem is shunned
- Innovation is the privileged practice of a special group
- The phrase, “you can’t do that because we’ve always done it this way” is used for every new idea
- No one can remember the last time anyone did anything really cool
- People think innovation is about R&D
- People have convinced themselves that competing on price is normal
- The organization is focused more on process than success
- There are lots of baby boomers about, and few people younger than 25
- After any type of surprise — product, market, industry or organizational change — everyone sits back and asks, “wow, where did that come from?”
POSTS ABOUT THE INNOVATION KILLERS
Staying Complacent? You Know You Are Killing Yourself with Inaction. What Are You Going To Do About It?
You’re stuck. Fading into irrelevancy. Dying from organizational sclerosis every single day. Killing yourself with
Start Your Day Today with Some Consistent Failure In Your Plan! It’s the Only Way You Will Succeed!
Because if you don't fail, you aren't learning! Here's some inspiration to get you going. I seem to write about
Video: “Go Ahead: Admit It – You’re Stuck, Indecisive, and Not Sure What Do Do!”
So when do you innovate? Right now! For some reason, my sound configuration was off - but still a good
Video: Your Challenge is In Your Innovation and Creativity Prevention Department!
You know it's true. And you'll be even more convinced you watch this. Virtual. Done
Daily Inspiration“Every great idea was once a dumb idea!”
“Every great idea was once a dumb idea!” - Futurist Jim Carroll History is littered with the legacy of great
Revisiting the Innovation Killers in the Era of Covid-19 : A Reality Check For Your New Future
Over 20 years ago, when I began an intense focus on researching what defined "innovation success," I came up with my
Aggressive Indecision 2020: How Organizations Are Failing By Freezing FAST! (Hint: Accept Your New Covid-19 Reality)
It seems there are a lot of people reading my new book, "Think Small, Delay Now, Scale Slow!" They so busy thinking
Show #4 : Disrupting the Big Disruption – Failure is Good for You, and I Get My Stage Groove Back On (in my Basement)
Here it is, raw and uncut. Too many speakers are doing too many boring Zooms with boring Powerpoints - or they're
10 Surefire Ways to Kill Creativity, Innovation and Strategy!
You know that you are failing. Ideas are being lost, opportunities are being squandered, initiative is in a rut. How
Video: What Do Innovative Organizations Do? This, but Not That!
From the vaults: I'm on stage, opening the 2010 US Air Force & Navy Child Youth Program event in Dallas. I’m
Video: From the Vaults – Highlights from 2006 Swiss Innovation Forum Keynote!
The quality is kind of shaking, but here's a clip from my opening keynote for the global Swiss Innovation Forum way
Organizational Sclerosis is Clogging Up Your Innovation Arteries!
Why is this so? What should you do? Here's a few clips to get you thinking! Learn how to deal with these challenges
#MOTOFAIL: Why Do Smart Companies Do Really Stupid Things?
Here's a clip for you to watch; it's from an event I spoke at a few weeks ago in San Diego. It speaks for
Daily Inspiration: “Define the scope of your goals by size of your dreams”
“Define the scope of your goals by size of your dreams!” It’s really easy to think small! That’s
Daily Inspiration: “Leap into the unknown…..”
“Leap into the unknown. Ccourage will cushion your landing!” It’s always most difficult to take that
Daily Inspiration: “It’s the era of acceleration! Are you aligned to the opportunities?”
“It’s the era of acceleration! Are you aligned to the opportunities?” - #Futurist Jim Carroll In the era
Daily Inspiration: “If your excuse is that it’s always someone else’s fault – it’s most likely your fault!”
“If your excuse is that it’s always someone else’s fault - it’s most likely your fault!” - #Futurist Jim
Daily Inspiration: “Never underestimate the ability of remarkable individuals or successful companies to implode!”
It probably means that you are in pretty big trouble. Over the last 25 years, I've been brought into an
THE LIST OF INNOVATION KILLERS
Are you dying from organizational sclerosis? Find out! Print the list below, and take it into your next meeting. Score one point each time a phrase is used, plus bonus points as indicated. Score more than 5, and you’ve got an organization that is innovation-adverse. Score 10 or more, and you are innovation dead. 15 or more, and you might as well close up shop – or immediately book Jim for guidance!
- “We’ve always done it this way” (3 bonus points)
- “It won’t work”
- “That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard”
- “That’s not my problem”
- “You can’t do that”
- “It’s against tradition”
- “It’s too risky” (3 bonus points)
- “I don’t know how”
- “I don’t think I can”
- I didn’t know that”
- “The boss won’t go for it” (5 bonus points)
- “Why should I care?”
- “Rules won’t allow it”
- “Don’t rock the boat”
WHAT SHOULD YOU
DO ABOUT IT?
Change your culture – adopt the mindset of innovation heroes!
- ideas flow freely throughout the organization
- subversion is a virtue
- success and failure are championed
- there are many, many leaders who encourage innovative thinking, rather than managers who run a bureacracy
- there are creative champions throughout the organization — people who thrive on thinking about how to do things differently ideas get approval and endorsement
- rather than stating “it can’t be done,” people ask, “how could we do this?”
- people know that in addition to R&D, innovation is also about ideas about to “run the business better, grow the business and transform the business”
- the word “innovation” is found in most job descriptions as a primary area of responsibility
- a percentage of annual renumeration is based upon achievement of explicitly defined innovation goals
These are a few of the organizations that have booked Jim Carroll in the past. He has spoken for senior leadership meetings for the world’s largest companies. Industry association events, and many more.