“Innovate like you ski: continuously tune your technique!” – Futurist Jim Carroll
It’s my Eddie the Eagle pose!
I actually talk about him on stage … and this particular photo has me talking about his nonstop efforts for success.
Fly, Eddie, fly!
Although a bit of a crazy guy with his decision of a sport to pursue, he certainly does offer lessons in the power of perseverance, not just innovation!
Skiing and innovation? Later today, I’ll be out at the ski hill, again, trying to figure things out. It’s been a bit of a long process, and I’ll be at it for some time to come, all things willing.
I didn’t start skiing until I was 40 years old, and for a time, I had the best snowplow technique on the Escarpment – in my age category! (There were some 3 year olds who had a snowplow technique that would have put mine to shame!) I’ve progressed since that time, but still need to learn.
Some years back, I wrote a post on the link between skiing and innovation. Here’s an extract!
So here’s the linkage between “becoming a skier for life” and becoming an “innovator for life:”
- you need to be relentless in your focus
- you need to commit
- you need to stick to your goals
- you need to consistently and regularly mark and acknowledge your progress
- you need to admit that while you might not know anything about the subject at hand, you are willing to spend the time to learn about it
- you have to conquer your fear that you might fail
- you need to be prepared that there are a lot of others who are better at it than you are, but perseverance will eventually pay off with their respect
- your first attempts might look pretty unpolished, but success will come over time in an incremental way. It’s not all about having a home run right at the start!
GET IN TOUCH
Jim's Facebook page
You'll find Jim's latest videos on Youtube
Mastodon. What's on Jim's mind? Check his feed!
LinkedIn - reach out to Jim for a professional connection!
Flickr! Get inspired! A massive archive of all of Jim's daily inspirational quotes!
Instagram - the home for Jim's motivational mind!