I successfully finished the 2011 200KM Ride to Conquer Cancer, from Toronto to Niagara Falls, next weekend, June 11/12. It turned out to be a 113K first day, and 107k on the second day, with times of 4 hrs 35 minutes on day one and 4 hrs 17 minutes on day 2.
23 years ago, when my wife met me, I was a 2-pack a day chain-smoking fool. I remember my brand of choice was Matinee. I literally gobbled them back. It was awful. She got me to quit, cold turkey. I’ve never gone back.
Had she not got me to quit, I would imagine I would either be in the grave by now, or at a minimum, suffering the early stages of the inevitable conclusion of disease from a life on cigarettes.
The funds raised go directly to the Princess Margaret Hospital cancer foundation, one of the top 5 cancer research centres in the world.
Shortly after my wife got me to quit smoking in 1988, she got me out jogging — in a local cemetary, the irony of which was not lost on me.
The fact that I completed the event is a great thing, given the alternative. It is also a very important personal milestone.
These are the awesome people who are sponsoring my ride through a donation to the Princess Margaret Hospital. They are the heroes of the ride. (Presented in order of donation, newest donations first.)
- Peter Budreski, Chartered Accountant, inspired by my Twitter post for support – and he knows me from 20+ years ago
- Mark Davis: ski buddy and friend. Always stays up way too late!
- Milan Popadich: another ski buddy. This guy could do 200miles on a bike in a heartbeat
- Theresea Beenken: senior VP, National Speakers Bureau, long time friend
- Gregy Wennyk: Senior VP, Sun Life. He saw me at a speech and was inspired to donate
- Mark Brandon: @MotiveLegal, inspired to donate through my Twitter post.
- Simon Anderson: @Futur1st, also inspired through Twitter.
- Mark Jeftovic: CEO, easyDNS.com, long time friend
- Jane Gyles: Thornbury, ski buddy and bonfire friend!
- Timothy Pinos: Lawyer, Cassels Brock, long time friend and fellow rider; he went with me on my first 100km training ride
- Marilyn Cassidy: Speakers Group speakers bureau
- Clemmer Group : Jim Clemmer, fellow speaker and leadership expert extraordinaire!
- W.K. Detlefsen: my boss from 25+ years ago, my mentor, my inspiration for innovation
- Dennis Craig: Ski buddy and long time friend. Dared to ski with me in the Swiss Alps!
- Scott Kress: fellow speaker, ski buddy, Mt. Everest champion
- Lisa Coleman: Speak Inc Speakers Bureau
- Arnold Sand: SMENet Sports and Entertainment speakers bureau
- Michael Frick: Speakers Platform speakers bureau
- Derek Sweeney: Sweeney Agency speakers bureau
- Peter Smith: ski buddy
- Rob Sykes: long time friend
- Kelly Nelson: CFO, National Sea Products. Worked with him 30+ years ago!
- Laura Boland: ski buddy
- George Przybylowski: ski buddy
- Peter Berczi : ski buddy
- Andrew Cohen: CEO, Collaborative Speakers