From a variety of keynotes through the last few weeks, here’s what we’ve got to deal with.
The consumer of today is:
- time challenged
- attention starved
- jumpy & fast with product perceptions
- edgy and vocal when operational excellence is not provided or perceived
- influenced differently in terms of brand / product / service choice
- more vocal when they’ve been “wronged”
- faster in adopting new trends and ideas
As a result of this, today’s new product is:
- faster to market
- more collaborative in design
- solutions oriented, responding to the fast consumer
- rapidly redefined by the customer
- having to maintain a brand image that is energized and up-to-date
Combine these two trends, and it means that todays’ new branding and advertising must be:
- more transformational
- revived and rejuvenated on a more regular basis
- lifestyle oriented
- shifting it’s focus online
- changing faster in terms of message
- going premium and upscale, to avoid commoditization
The key things to think about when dealing with these new realities is:
- focus on the opportunity that comes from such rapid change, not the threat
- don’t panic at the pace
- focus on the value of your product or service
- collaborate with your partners (i.e. packaging companies, retailers, consumer goods companies)
- invest in experiential capital by trying out lots of new ideas
- understand that the pace of change is only going to increase
- transition your team to think differently — innovate!
GET IN TOUCH
Jim's Facebook page
You'll find Jim's latest videos on Youtube
Mastodon. What's on Jim's mind? Check his feed!
LinkedIn - reach out to Jim for a professional connection!
Flickr! Get inspired! A massive archive of all of Jim's daily inspirational quotes!
Instagram - the home for Jim's motivational mind!